PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Carolina EMS Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2009, 01:21
OBX Lifeguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few notes if you will.

First, thunderstorms in the vicinity. In North and South Carolina thunderstorms are a just about a daily fact of life at least 6 months of the year. Our answer is downloadable weather in our BK-117. Gives me any where from real time to usually up to 6 minute old 'map' view of radar, storm cell activity and lightning strikes right in the cockpit. I actually prefer it over airborne radar.

Second VFR into IMC at night. It's not an "if" it's a "when". I don't care what your minimums are, who has to approve the flight or what '3 to say go, one to say no' crap you have...if you fly at night enough....you are going to encounter IMC...at least in coastal Carolina you are.

The outfits that require an instrument ticket of their pilots and don't demand currency are ridiculous. It's total BS. We require instrument currency and an IPC and actual instrument time annually. And half that 'hood time' will be at night because that's when inadvertent IMC is most likely to happen. And if at all possible...that IPC is done at night.

Management response to an inadvertent IMC episode is for future avoidance only. If the pilot met minimums for launch he has absolutely no fear of anything except a congratulations for getting the 'chestnuts out of the fire'. I would 100 times rather the pilot climb up into the 'system' than try to re-establish VMC and scud-run back in. The current GPS approaches are incredibly easy to do.

We also only hire helo pilots with lots of actual instrument time...which usually mean dual rated. I got more instrument experience in one summer flying canceled checks all night in a BE-58 than in 30 years in Army helicopters. Oh and more thunderstorm dodging too. (I frankly find a BK-117 as easy to fly single pilot IFR as the Bonanza I owned for several years.)

We also pay 50% more than the going rate...so good pilots stay around and don't begrudge the hours they have to put in to maintain proficiency. As can be expected our turn over rate is near zero. This allows us to put all our training effort and dollars into pilots we already have.