PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of the line for Tornado GR4?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2009, 23:13
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Wrathmonk; if you need to go to a two-type FJ fleet - which with the current budget seems sensible - then the one to go is Harrier, I'm afraid. As has already been said, GR4 has unique capabilities in the current RAF frontline (e.g. Storm Shadow, employment for Navs ) and a we can fly it hard in the 'Stan through to OSD and replace it with Dave-C in the 2016-18 timescale.

Dave-C has longer legs and a more substantial marinised structure than the other variants, and given that we're going to fly it for a LONG time, then the extra beef may be no bad thing, even if they never go to sea. It's probably going to be cheaper than Dave-B, too. Oh, and it has internal bays that can take our existing weaponry, too. Bonus!

And if CVF gets built, then we can have probably have proper cats-n-traps, too. Personally, I don't think that CVF will - or should, in the current budgetary climate - be built, but CVF or no, Dave-C gets my vote. IMHO it also looks more purposeful with twin nosewheels than the dainty Dave-A, and that's better than most of the reasons published on tinternet for selecting one or other FJ pointy thing.

S41