PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am an Army of One (merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2002, 17:47
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, 411A, I'm not.

Why do you think it is that, of all the UK low-cost operations only FR charge as they do for applications? FR of course not being a UK operator.

Could it be, perhaps, that they recruit heavily in the non-UK market, for example Eastern Europe? That they cynically exploit the desperation of some people, with the carrot of an Irish licence?

Could it also be, perchance, that this policy will rapidly disappear once the current surplus of pilots dries up?

This is nothing more than 1995 all over again. Remember those days in the UK? Well, you won't being an American. Let me enlighten you.

Many operators had gone to the wall- the likes of Air Europe, Dan Air, Paramount, BIA, many, many others as well. Experienced 757 skippers were talking jobs flying Jetstreams, just to keep flying. There were over 500 experienced jet pilots registered with the BALPA job service (BEST Aircrew), and opportunist operators such as BMI were selling type ratings with the tenuous carrot of a possible (but very unlikely) job at the end of it. Many gullible (or desperate) people parted with their money- and yet, 18 months later, virtually nobody could sell a type rating, and many airlines were offering substantial incentives to change employers, paying off training bonds, etc.

My, how things change! From profiting from pilots to the tune of £18K, airlines were giving away similar amounts to pay off the training bonds of its new employees.

All the above is fact, it is, in fact, my personal experience.

You may have plenty of CV's, but outside your borders, the situation is somewhat different. As there is more aviation happening outside the US than within it, that is a significant distinction.

So what is this airline that you claim to run?