PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - catch 22
Thread: catch 22
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2002, 17:21
captainbirdseye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool catch 22

Ok here is the deal: Got my PPL in August 2000. Have not flown since the day I got my licence, due to expense, being away travelling, paying off Uni debt etc,etc.

About to start Ground school with Bristol and then go to States April time next year to hour build before coming back to UK to do CPL, ME, IR .

Now the question is should I do any flying before I go to states
a) To keep licence current - you need to do at least 12 hours P1 I think within 24 months of getting PPL otherwise you have to go through check-ride again.
b) So I don’t forget everything and to help with ground school and exams.

Or should I save my cash – let licence expire and revalidate it in the states, as it’s cheaper over there. I assume this would have to be done by JAR instructor at a JAR approved facility?

I asked the FTO which I am planning to do the CPL, IR and ME with, what they thought. They seemed to think it makes little difference – and either way I will only need a “couple of hours” to bring me up to speed. I think this sounds like utter cr@p and that after two years of not flying I will need considerably more than a couple of hours to bring me up to PPL level.

Please advise.

CBE