PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why can't PPL holders charge for their services?
Old 7th Oct 2009, 17:42
BabyBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BB
I think that penalising the odd PPL for carrying a parcel is nonsensical.
What would happen if the PPL carried a cost sharing passenger who delivered the package and HE (not the pilot) got paid his costs for it, no profit just his costs. His costs would be his share to the pilot of the cost sharing flight, so no money would have been made out of the flight.
Someone will probably tell me that this scenario is also a no go within the bounds of the legislation because it was a commercial flight. But try as I may, I can not see how more commercial this flight would be to the pilot than if he had done the same trip with just his cost sharing passenger and received half the cost of the flight which in the eyes of the CAA is OK

As I said it's not going to be easy introduce laws that cover every eventuality, nor is it practical to even try. It's not a case of penalising the odd PPL, the odd PPL is not a consideration to start with, nor should he be. They are there to cover the main issues and to this end they achieve the purpose.

To be honest the more you type the more thankful I become that they do exist.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one!

Last edited by BabyBear; 7th Oct 2009 at 18:16.