PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why can't PPL holders charge for their services?
Old 7th Oct 2009, 16:37
Bigglesthefrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now let's imagine I approached all your customers and said I'd deliver their stuff for only the cost of running my moped. You, not surprisingly, stop me in the street and ask me what the hell I think I'm doing and I reply that it's ".... not commercial and therefore no threat to any of the motorcycle courier businesses"
Flintstone
There is nothing to stop anyone from doing this and no legislation against it either (unlike CAA regs). But I very much doubt if anyone would ever bother to ride thousands of miles every week in all weathers on his moped only to have nothing to show for it at the end of the week except a sore backside and a face full of dead flies. So the threat would not worry me.

Do you not think that, even if it was deemed appropriate, creating legislation to permit the odd PPL carrying the odd parcel would be nonsensical?
BB
I think that penalising the odd PPL for carrying a parcel is nonsensical.
What would happen if the PPL carried a cost sharing passenger who delivered the package and HE (not the pilot) got paid his costs for it, no profit just his costs. His costs would be his share to the pilot of the cost sharing flight, so no money would have been made out of the flight.
Someone will probably tell me that this scenario is also a no go within the bounds of the legislation because it was a commercial flight. But try as I may, I can not see how more commercial this flight would be to the pilot than if he had done the same trip with just his cost sharing passenger and received half the cost of the flight which in the eyes of the CAA is OK