PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differential friction
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2009, 22:02
john_tullamarine

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts
a person by name of overun said that in differential friction was also and operation issue

For background, OverRun is an highly experienced airports design engineer but not an aircraft operator, per se.

If you want techo information on airport/runway design and construction, he is our resident expert and his advice should be given appropriate weight. His comment regarding differential friction is perfectly reasonable and relates to the engineering/Standards desire to have reasonably uniform frictional characteristics across the runway .. consider the analogous situation in your motor vehicle on a very wet road at speed .. each time you put one side of the wheel geometry into a puddle, the car suffers a quite noticeable yawing/steering torque to that side. Alternatively, under braking, one can see some lateral to-and-fro motion as frictional characteristics vary at each wheel location - although ABS tends to mask the effect albeit at the expense of a noisy ride.

BOAC's Lightning anecdote, likewise, is illustrative.

The main aircraft consideration for runway width is landing gear geometry per ICAO recommendations which, as far as I am aware, makes no concession to handling realities.

A subsidiary consideration arose quite some years ago wherein a recommendation was made to incorporate worst case handling testing on a Type basis to check that the geometric basis for matching Type to width wasn't too far wide of the mark (so to speak).

So far as I am aware, only Australia took that recommendation up and actually did some testing and I was involved in testing several Types. Some of the preliminary simulator studies done by the Australian Regulator's flight test section came up with interesting data which suggested that the geometric model was quite flawed for some Types.

I'll send a note to OverRun .. perhaps he might come into this discussion and offer some tech design comments.

So far as the OP is concerned, I think that the poster may have applied an incorrect emphasis to OverRun's comments elsewhere ?

.. and, for runway2, I'm afraid that you will just have to maintain good humour in the face of the occasional good-natured banter arising in threads such as this ...