PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - collision
Thread: collision
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2002, 11:12
sunnysideup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a regular visitor to Hinton (almost weekly), I read this thread with interest.

Heres a story......

On a quick hop from Turweston on the day before the accident, I immediately switched to Hintons Frequency which, incidently, the parachuting people use all the time, and listened to a general broadcast announcing a drop (as they always seem to do when I'm just about to join!). I kept my distance (I prefer about 4nm to be safe) and waited for the announcement that everyone was down). Turning onto final, I was cut up not once, but twice, by a motor glider who made no radio announcements (and obviously wasn't on a listening watch, if he even had a radio). I then watched him taxi for another departure during the next drop!

Ive never been gliding, so I don't even know if gliders normally have radios. But it seems to me that with the good, friendly advise and information from the people at Hinton, a glider pilot, or any other for that matter, should have a radio and use it.

Communication - I know many aging pilots who think that a Radio interferes with the freedom of flying. God knows how they got so aged............