PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots protest over flying hours
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2009, 10:55
Sky Wave

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
FlyingOfficerKite

It sounds like you are talking about the same colourful loco that I've been employed by for the last 3 years. I have to say that I am unable to relate to any of the experiences that you allude to.

Perhaps you left more than 3 years ago?

I've been tired at work, but 9 times out of 10 it's my fault as I've been up doing stuff when I should be going to bed. Let's be honest, if you have a 4:30 report you do need to get to bed at a reasonably early hour. That's the nature of the job and is the case no matter which carrier you work for.

I've had one captain that I can recall suddenly kick out the z's without warning. This captain was well known for it amongst other FO's and he also did lots of flying instruction on the side so he was probably burning the candle at both ends.

If we do feel tired we are allowed to take "controlled rest". That means you can close your eyes for 20 minutes and the other person knows what you are doing.

If we use the word fatigued we are off the flight with no questions asked. If you continually do it they will obviously start asking questions. How far do you drive in? Do you do other work on the side? Does the baby keep you up all night? These are things that an individual must manage and they are not the companies responsibility.

I'm not saying the job doesn't get tiring because like any job you will be more tired by the end of your working week. But if it's too much, just call in fatigued. Most people complain about early starts but they don't cause me a problem, I find the 5 days of 10 - 11 hour, 4 sector late duties the most fatiguing.

To summarise, I don't want to suggest that everything is rosy as it is hard work, it is tiring and we definitely could not have any relaxation of the current rules. But your depiction of the colourful loco is not accurate, at least not post 2007.