PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 587 -- Vertical stabilizer & composites (thread#3)
Old 20th Nov 2001, 03:58
samgop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RatherBe-

Thanks for the NTSB reference. It is actually these pictures that are causing me to question the 'composite' theory.

I did study all of the pictures and became so confused it was necessary to break out the sketch pad and reconstruct the VS attachments on paper.

First, this picture seems to suggest a forward-starboard to aft-port removal of the VS.

Second, these look to be the two bottom forward brackets. These would be the bottom attachments which are constructed of metal.

From this second image, it appears that one of these bottom brackets failed. I believe it is the starboard bottom bracket which is bent up and back.

Hypothetically, IF the bottom bracket was the first point in the VS connection to fail, it is possible that all other failures (composite) were a direct result of the lost structural integrity (especially when combined with the resulting torque of 'rock and roll'). The fact that both forward top tonques are obviously broken, would be consistant with the above scenario. On the other hand, I cannot image a scenario where any of the broken tongues would cause the resulting failure of that bottom bracket.

After searching the internet, looking for some serious and informed discussion on the accident, I've landed here at pprune. Subsequently, I have a healthy disquiet related to the use of composite in airplanes. However, that one picture of the forward (bottom) brackets keeps sending me in a different direction on this particular case.