PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India pilots on strike.
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2009, 01:38
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Town, Safety Culture

Young guns cannot handle this life style especially as a lot of them are from small towns and from conservative back grounds. Cases of sexual harassment and other such issues including stealing of hotel supplies, duty free smuggling etc have been plaguing all airlines recently (I believe an earlier poster has also mentioned these here). This has reached alarming proportions and will cost all airlines huge amounts.
Hailing from a small town cannot be translated into having inclination towards sexual harassment or stealing towels. Your argument sounds elitist, just like the Indian Army's argument about the young officers. The army thinks that not enough number of officers are coming from military (elitist) background, and hence they are unable to recruit up to full quota. Both of these arguments undermine quality training and quality selection.

On the other hand its also true that the HR-MBAs awarded by so many institutes in India aren't worth their weight in toilet paper. That, kind of rules out quality-selection. Airlines are still left with the quality training option, how inefficient it may have been rendered by lack of quality selection.

That kind of reminds me of a really 'dumb' squadron leader from Indian Air Force who was teaching at a ground school in India. He came and asked me, "How would this poster suite on the walls of students dormitory?" The poster read in very bold face "Do not improvise!"

It is wise in India to always support the suggestion of your bosses, no matter how insane or inane they may sound. I really wanted to tell him, "If I were living in that dorm I would rather have a life size Marlyn Monroe poster than any wisecracks." Alas, I never had a very good reputation of being a wise man.

"Do not improvise!" is elitist. When safety is everybody's business everybody should improvise.