PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Shame
Thread: Qantas Shame
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2009, 23:01
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I know you ElPerro? Just wondering. Anyway, again your post is far too long for me to go through point by point, but let's get a few things straight.

1. Do not make wild presumptions about why I joined the Pilot's Association, unless I've actually explained to you why I did, or unless you have clairvoyant powers. It was not mandatory for me to join (and nor should it be). My overall political views have changed zero since I left the RAAF. Not having the possibility of representation by a professional body is nothing to write home about on so many fronts.

2. You appear to be completely ignorant about what benefits I get out of the Pilot's Association. I'm not going to list the many benefits when I joined which had nothing whatsoever to do with increasing my salary (including one extremely significant one which costs Qantas - how much ElPerro? - ZERO).

I also won't go into how it was the Pilot's Association who got a Manager to wind his neck back in when he falsely accused me of breach of contract whilst an extremely junior employee (and low enough on the food chain for no other managers to give a rats) in my first 6 months of employment and implicitly threatened termination. The Association helped me get the evidence together, and after a meeting with the Chief Pilot, everything suddenly went very quiet. But heck, Managers/employers are always so nice, aren't they? Anyway I digress.....

3. ElPerro, there is no need to be a condescending little sh*t on these pages. It doesn't make people pay more attention to you. No I am not an economist (I am sometimes wrong, but economists may always be right - I don't know), but from personal experience it is not always only one which is driven only by the other. High (inceasing) demand and lack of available supply can drive prices up, is the point I was making. This doesn't necessarily mean someone won't pay the higher price, at least until it reaches a certain point. This applies to everything. Consumer goods, utilities, labor (for christ's sake, if I need a bloody plumber because poo is being pumped into my kitchen, and the only one available charges $200/hr, then $200/hr it is).

By the way, ElPerro, before you go off explaining your worldly knowledge of logical argument, calling you a "condescending little sh*t" is NOT an "ad hominem" argument. It is an insult.

It is only ad hominem if I say: "you are wrong, ElPerro, because you are a condescending little sh*t" or "don't listen to ElPerro, he's a condescending little sh*t, so his arguments are nonsense." That would be ad hominem, as I would be using the insult of calling you a "condescending little sh*t" to attack your argument.

Logical Fallacies 101. You keep hinting how good you are at logic, but you don't know this?

Next logic lesson (Logical Fallacies 102): The Hasty Generalisation
Student Assignment: Relate the "Hasty Generalisation" fallacy to this concept: "Everything unions do is always bad".