PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formula for Radius of Turn
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2009, 14:43
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's about for pilots we keep it simple?
I would violently agree with you, if it were for use by pilots in the cockpit, with a groundspeed > 0kt!

But our friend did not specify in his original post, whether he sought a rule of thumb for inflight use, or a formula for his latest iPhone or Excel spreadsheet project.

The clue for me was that he posted in TechLog (bing!), a geometric expression (bing bing!), but could someone help this USA resident with one that used metric units (bing bing bing!). Us rule-of-thumb pilots only work on a tan when we are on a tropical layover, and metric when forced to fly through foreign airspace!

If our friend is doing some research, or aims to produce some kind of calculator (javascript, iPhone, spreadsheet or otherwise) then why use a Rule of Thumb when a floating point arithmetic gadget is doing the computations? That's sloppy.

If our friend is attempting to work out his radius or diameter of turn to write an Ops manual or a Procedure, then likewise, why not use a formula and apply factors for wind and varying pilot skill?

If our friend is looking for a rule of thumb to see how wide he will fly in a holding pattern he is assigned tomorrow, then formula? Forgetaboudit! Use a rule of thumb as above.

We ALWAYS turn procedurally at Rate 1, don't we? FORGET angle of bank
No, that is not correct.

I am permitted to turn at 30ºAoB, it is normal for the category of aircraft, and do so when circling.

"Procedurally"?

I am instructed to turn at the lesser of Rate 1 or 25ºAoB in departure and approach procedures. "The lesser of", because Rate 1 and 25ºAoB are rarely coincident.

I am instructed to make turns at 15ºAoB in an EOSID procedure.

My aircraft AFGS commands 25ºAoB turns <=FL200 and 20ºAoB turns >FL200 if GCP selected. If in full autoflight, the Honeywell Pegasus FMS commands a far lower AoB if at high TAS/high altitude.

Less "procedurally"... If I'm avoiding Wx that is a fair distance ahead, I might choose to turn at only 5º or 10º AoB by use of the AoB limiter on my GCP.

So no, "we" pilots don't "always" turn at Rate 1 "procedurally". Plenty of exceptions to that rule.

Thats where a Rate of Turn calculator based on AoB might come in handy for those pilots and others that design procedures.

This IS techlog, is it not?

Last edited by ITCZ; 5th Oct 2009 at 15:07.