PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 engine failure (SQ)
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2009, 10:54
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumour was there was a tool found in engine. Reason for shutdown was metal detected in chip detector.
My limited engineering expertise would tell me that these two items are totally unrelated, unless, somehow, a tool had been left within the oil circulation?

The days when spare engines were left scattered around the route network are long gone, on the one hand engines are much more reliable these days and due to increased sector length stops are less frequent, then we have the bean counters who will tell you that it is cheaper to wait for the event and then acquire and position the spare than have it on a shelf somewhere waiting.

Looking at the SQ flight, it departed, turned back, passengers were re-distributed, that flight cancelled with the minimum of disruption. Subsequent flights to have been flown by that aircraft will be replaced by other aircraft, if available, including the use of other A380, the B744, as available and the B777, as available, SIA have considerable flexibility. In operational terms it would have been swallowed without a murmur, everything back to the original plan within ten days, maximum.

I would like to nominate this thread for the annual Gold Global Award for A Storm in a Teacup.