PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cleared for what approach ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2009, 03:43
MercuryRising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer your question: in ICAO airspace ICAO Doc4444 12.2.2.3 has relevance : "Cleared (type of approach) Approach [Runway (number)] - italic indicates a requirement.

Doc4444 8.9.3. becomes relevant as your question cannot be answered in isolation as you must have been given some sort of approach expectation by ATC (whether by STAR, voice or AIP or related documentation ) in which case you would have briefed for the approach and you would know where ATC wanted you to fly the approach from.
  • A STAR would terminate at the IAF, an IF or FAP and the approach should start from the termination point, otherwise an inconsistency is created.
  • ATC could vector you to the IAF, an IF, FAP or a pilot interpreted aid but they would always advise you of their intent when initialising vectors.

In the case you present the second scenario is obviously applicable. In my experience, this rather well defined subject has become blurred and over the years I have heard, "Cleared for the published approach." as opposed to the unpublished one(?) , "Cleared for the procedural approach." whatever that means, and "Cleared for the approach, descend as published." well why stop there? Why not add: " Turns, speeds and everything as published." Accordingly, I would really enjoy knowing what your proceed "to FAF" information is based on?