PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to look for in an instructor school?
Old 5th Oct 2009, 00:00
Steve888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for in an instructor school?

(This was already posted in the Flying Instructors & Examiners forum, but got no replies, so I'm trying again here)

I'm currently training for a multi-engine command instrument rating at Archerfield in Brisbane, Australia.

Once I finish (around the end of the year) I'd like to continue with an instructor rating.

I'm now at the point where I would like to start looking into the various schools in the area (SE QLD, northern NSW) at their instructor rating courses.

Before I start making some initial calls, I want to create a list of things I should be looking for in a good course.

At this stage, my thoughts are:
  • Aircraft type (therefore cost)
  • Average time to complete course (have heard full time courses usually around 3 months)
  • Start dates
  • Average number of students per course
  • Potential for job at conclusion
  • Industry contacts the school/instructors have for future employment
  • Potential for charter work with the school
  • Total number of students/instructors at the school (indicator of job prospects)
  • General vibe
If anyone can add anything to this list, that would be great. The plan is to give some schools in the area a ring first to get initial information, then go and visit and talk to instructors, CFI, see the school etc.

Or if anyone recommends a school, let me know (by PM if you don't want to post publically).

Thanks!