PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southern B777F
Thread: Southern B777F
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2009, 22:11
cpnkirk59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opps - My bad!

cpnkirk

The B777F has very long legs and will do ICN-LAX without any problems. It can carry it's max payload (around 106 tons) for up to 10.5 hours. You won't get that kind of performance out of anything else, including a -400ERF.
My inaccurate post, was based on my "ego" driven research on the Boeing website - already had to admit I was wrong to one of my fellow furloughies! Thank you also for correcting me.

For the comments regarding SAI and how they will park the planes in the desert/screw up the ETOPS/not have enough flying for the aircraft: you all may be correct; but, the company is about 3/4s of the way through recalling furloughed pilots, rumored to have moved up the initial delivery date of the 777s, rumored to be trying to move up the follow on deliveries and have more contracts on the way.

My "ego" was again driving my positive reply to negative ones above (always trying to be right in an argument!); but, now I understand how many of the Middle Eastern Expats feel, when someone bad mouths their company that doesn't even work there. During my initial SAI training, my check airman Instructor made two points (he'd been with Southern since the SAT/C130 days) - he always got paid and Southern has never liked to furlough. In my opinion, the SAI has done a good job keeping their non-furloughed pilots employed and flying. It's interesting to hear how many people know how SAI is operated, based on a friends negative comments, that works for Southern. I've got a number of fellow pilot friends that are out of work. I've told them how tough it can be to work at SAI, duty days and various HR issues and they still want to come here. Believe me when I say, you don't know how well you have it until you've lost it (i.e. you don't have any job).

Best to all of you and my condolences to those of you that may not be flying - I'd pretty much given up on flying (furloughed from AA also); so, now that I'm being recalled, I'm pretty excited!

RP