PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Fuel Diversion 3rd September
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2009, 18:22
Gary Lager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it mean that you state that the EZY crew took-off from Istanbul to their destination Luton with a total fuel, obviously WELL below the MIN fuel required. But this is illegal, isn't it ?
no...see the post above...things can and do change that affect the fuel burn and eat into safe reserves. They might have departed with a fuel load close to minimums but that doesn't make it unsafe - particularly since they acted sensibly and tech-stopped, rather than pressing on to LTN.

"obviously WELL below MIN fuel" - how did you work that out? If the headwind increases and you find yourself predicted to land only 100kg under min reserves, you still have some re-planning to do; the fact that this was necessary doesn't mean you can extrapolate anything at all about the departure fuel state.

All that about the 'revised' route being illegal because it hadn't been approved is nonsense. It is not setting up a new scheduled service to anywhere new, just planning a one-off unscheduled stop en-route. If such a situation were not allowed, how would bizjets and GA aircraft ever be allowed to operate? You file a flight plan before a flight, it gets approved by ATC, therefore the flight is approved (slight oversimplification I know).

You implied that the crew should have put on more fuel to start with, but didn't because of what your fevered imagination thought was EZY's company culture:

It has been explained that what you 'heard' about EZY's company culture is total nonsense. BTW I am not a manager, just a regular line Joe.
It has been explained that the crew could not put on more fuel than they did, even if they wanted to, because of a/c limitations.
It has been explained that tech-stopping for fuel is not unusual and perfectly legal.

There's nothing wrong with MINIMUM fuel, to use your own hyperbole - by definition it is the adequate minimum required to do the flight safely and legally.

I don't have a problem with the public asking questions on here, on board the aircraft, or anywhere - I enjoy increasing awareness of what we do and how we do it, in all fields of aviation. I am responding aggressively because of your ill-informed, antagonistic way of apparently criticising our operation, obviously without knowing anything about it.