PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft you love and hate to fly ...
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2009, 13:32
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you guys please explain what is so bad about the Metro - I will now never fly in one of these planes, hearing their pilots speak so lowly of them, scary stuff.
Only accountants loved the aircraft. I have more time on them than any other type on my licence (soon to be overtaken by the A320) and spent seven years on them.

Heavy controls, M3 has large wing extensions outboard of the ailerons
Deadly stall characteristics, requires a stick shacker and a stick pusher
Noisy
Cramped
Uncomfortable seats
Uses large amounts of runway on take off and landing
Doesn't fly well when iced up but designed to cruise right in the icing levels.
Unreliable hydraulics
Regular pressurisation problems due to cabin door seals
Fusealge bends when loaded making the doors difficult to close
Sensitive to C of G positioning, tends to bulk out so the C of G is often actually well aft of what the load sheet indicates. You find this out only after you get airborne.
Oil leaks, you will go max two weeks with a new shirt before it gets stained.
Doesn't like starting with a strong tail wind or cross wind.
Batteries critical, many anxious moments wondering if it was going to start.
Easy to lock the wheels and blow tyres when landing empty
Regular nose wheel steering problems electrical or hydraulic. Experience of taxying tailwheel aircraft in strong cross winds very usefull in this case.
Engines can be "bogged down", basically if you are not carefull when reducing the prop rpm after landing the engines become a heap of molten scrap.
Order fuel from the bowser in litres, convert to kilos for the load sheet, have the gauges in pounds and the tank dipsticks in gallons. If you deliberately set out to design a more confusing system you couldn't do better than this.
Propellors must be on the start locks for starting or the starter motor will burn out. Sometimes these locks won't engage properly.

Just a small selection off the top of my head, there are many more.