PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Council tells Bagby to rip up runway
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2009, 13:17
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know several of our local councillors. The are eminently sensible folk (I worked with some of them before I retired from paid employ). However, they are seriously limited in what they can do. Guvmint reserves a lot of the authority to itself - or so it appears.

We want to build a new Church in a rural location to replace one that is based round a WW1 army hut that is now falling apart. Since the new one is greater in cubic capacity than the old one, and is on green belt land, the council is pretty much compelled to refuse permission, even though all councillors are in favour. Then we appeal, and expect to get consent on appeal.

An "interesting" process! The councillors clearly aren't trusted by Guvmint to make decisions.

Mind you, having seen some of the wacky decisions (refer above) made by councillors elsewhere, I can see why that is. Maybe the whole process needs overhaul. I'm too busy right now to give it the attention it deserves, so is anyone else up to sorting it with the Civil Service?