PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2009, 11:40
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paarmo
why were both MME and NCL having huge increases in passenger volume 2 yrs ago
Err particularly in DTV's case then 100% increase on nothing is still nothing ! The market at that time was also supported by carriers obsession as to "bums on seats" irrespective of price, which stimulated pax no.'s if not revenues. Put the fares up & the pax. soon disappeared! As for Scotland reference, then this was to reflect airport availability to the North of the region as a whole, whatever your interpretation as to Scotland's position within the UK, the fact is that it generates substantial no.'s of pax from the borders and further north into the NE regional airport framework. As you quite correctly state Scotland
should not have any bearing whatsoever on Teesside
it doesn't!, but this IS part of DTV's problem... not many areas do have a bearing on DTV, only those, as you state, that are looking for cheap holiday flights (which as I suggested earlier disappered faster than the increasing fares). In reality those pax that can afford to pay more are now well catered for under the existing infrastructure, it may not be the best, but it does suffice. The problem is that the Tour Operators themselves have also identified this and it is one reason why they choose to prefer DTV's neighbours with their flight offerings.
Insofar as your summary of DTV & indeed many other parts of the region. My Company has very strong business links with Teesside and we maintain a constant presence, I am well aware as to the position of the local economy & even if I were to borrow your rose tinted spec's I would not be able to interpret the current situation as you choose to represent it.
I do however concur with your last paragraph comment on the airport management of which my views were well known. I am unsure as to whose "pride" was hurt at the loss of LHR but I would not expect many outside the current management to have experienced such an emotion. Most people that I come accross have by now overcome what frustration did exist and simply adapted to other alternatives. I suspect many of these pax. having now adapted to alternative arrangements are not seeking further change.