PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink J41 crash
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2009, 05:32
Der absolute Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke was observed to originate from the no. 2 or right-hand engine during the
take-off roll

and

The no.2 or right-hand engine failed on rotation ?

The two statements are not compatible. An engine on fire can still produce take off thrust and there are many simulator scenarios, certainly within a 50 second period where, at rotation, you would leave a fire warning alone, apart from cancelling the devastatingly irritating bell, and fly the aircraft instead-normal drills until 400 feet.
If it has not auto feathered at that point in the take off and the fire is not catastrophic, it can be a fire drill not a failure drill.

This (the smoke information) was only transmitted to the
pilot during take-off rotation, thus excluding the possibility of rejecting the take-off.
Duration of the take-off roll was about 18 seconds.

Is ATC now going to be drawn in to the blame game? It is not their responsibility to point out that the engine needs a de coke.

From the armchair and, permit me to say, as a Jestream pilot with many hours on Garret/NTS/etc equipped aircraft, let me say that the initial hypothetical conclusions are absolutely inescapable in this accident.
Someone must regularily remind Airlink of their extreme good fortune. They have 'got away' with this because their were no passengers on board. Had the aircraft even had less fuel but more pax, to conform to MTOW/Performance TOWs-it would have had for sure some serious fatalities on its books to explain. Airlink has possibly-and I say only possibly with care-been given an opportunity to review all its training procedures with great attention. It is now its responsibility now to ensure that all its standards are reviewed, tightened up (there is always room for that) and perfected. Also perhaps some rostering procedures might need examination-but that is a differenc bottle of stale beer.

I imagine that the aircraft was on lease from BAES, which explains their involvement. The aircraft is certified in Perf A. BAES will be very desirous of ensuring that such certification is not put in danger. It would be very bad for their passenger customer airlines if that happened.

Whatever - There is a great deal for everyone to learn from this accident. so hop to it and do so!

Last edited by Der absolute Hammer; 3rd Oct 2009 at 05:48.