PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preflight Checks for piston engines
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 22:19
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your contribution to the thread is noted, jumbo driver. Now, have you anything worthwhile to contribute?

As long as that doesn't appear to be the case, we might as well address your final salient point before you went off the reservation...

There are plenty of advantages to a routine manual "pull through" of a small piston engine before start - don't let anyone tell you otherwise - although once you get much above 100hp, the effort required will make it progressively harder work.
Now I may not be the "expert you once thought I was," but I've spent a lot of time pulling through R985's, R1340's, R2600's, R2800's, R3350's, and R4360's...each of which has just a tad more than "100 hp" (again...the engine has displacement, but produces NO horsepower when it's not running; you understand this, right?). These engines actually have a legitimate reason for pulling through in certain cases, when checking for hydraulic lock...but even in those cases, even when we were all qualified mechanics and "engineers," none of us ever was arrogant enough to assume we could tell the compression or identify internal faults by pulling an engine through.

Limit yourself to 100 hp, you say? As you wish.

I work with a couple of very experienced individuals who have both taken prop strikes to the skull. You keep on rotating that propeller with it's charge of fuel and believing what you will...because after all, you've thought it through. You've no valid reason for it, but again...as you will and as you wish. Best of luck to you and your sub-100 horsepower behemoth. I certainly hope that one day it doesn't bite you in the back.