PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 15:34
regle

Why pick on me ?

Why me, Cliff, with the association of the very much to be lauded A.T.A. ? Yes, Amy Mollison nee Johnson was certainly a member of those dauntless girls who were so trusted and reliable when they finally broke through all the resistance of the Colonel Blimps who could never envisage a "mere slip of a Gel" flying such a difficult machine as an aeroplane. She eventually payed for it with her life when she bailed out of an Oxford over the Thames in thick fog and was never found. When they did finally break through all the hide bound anti-feminists they were not given any Radio Aid training and flew by map reading, and at low levels through valleys, along roads and by the seats of their "pants ?". They certainly did eventually fly four engined aircraft and were of invaluable aid to the war effort and released many R.A.F.Pilots for sterner duties. There is a terrific book which details their struggle graphically,written by one of the earliest entrants which is both illuminating and hysterically funny at times and I am having a completely "Senior Moment" in not remembering the name of it. If anyone, Andy as usual, can , I should be indebted to them as I would read it again. My Forage Cap is eternally doffed to those intrepid Ladies, Regle