PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What radars
Thread: What radars
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 09:07
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
I was at Lindholme for unit endorsement in '73. The T 82 was a superb radar with passive decoding on the SSR ie you had to designate which aircraft by placing a 'strobe' on it with a little joystick, and the code came up on a small panel next to the screen. It had no MTI hence the picture at short range was 'gated' out leading to the 'Midland Radar Overhead' jokes.
When I was there, initially the Patrington T80 was remoted in, being supplanted in mid '73 by the T84 and/or T85 from Staxton Wold. These were mainly used to pick up traffic which had just crossed from Danish airspace (UR37 airway?), whilst traffic from Dutch airspace could clearly be seen on the T82 crossing the dutch coast.
When I did ATC Camp at Manston in '88, there were some Air Defence guys there just re-opening the Ash radar station which had previously just been used as a remote radar for LATCC. Presumably this closed again with the thawing of the cold war, but what happened to it? Is the radar still spinning? It would be ideal for Farnborough LARS East sector.