PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC proposal
Thread: IMC proposal
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 02:22
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
IO540, the proposer of the absurd chocolate teapot rating stated:

I came up with the concept of an En-route Instrument Rating. This would allow access to all classes of airspace in line with the EASA principal that license privileges should not be defined by airspace class.
The associated weather limitations would be such as to make it almost certain that a departure and arrival could be conducted under VFR. The course for this would be similar in length to the IMC, about 15 hours, part of which would be conducted in an ATO. The TK test would be the same as for the IR. It was not felt that the lesser TK was warranted given the cost and the fact the EIR holders would be sharing complex airspace.
My bold lettering for emphasis. 'TK' means theoretical knowledge.

'Almost certain that a departure and arrival could be conducted under VFR' is wholly unacceptable. I invite the originator of this nonsense to define, to the satisfaction of any legel weasel, what is meant by 'almost certain'....

The entire EIR concept is ridiculous - fortunately opposition to the idea is growing, both nationally and internationally.

The Visual Flight Rules require the following limits inside controlled airspace:

Flight within controlled airspace
27.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4), an aircraft flying within Class B airspace—
(a) at or above flight level 100 shall remain clear of cloud and in a flight visibility of at least 8 km; and
(b) below flight level 100 shall remain clear of cloud and in a flight visibility of at least 5 km.
(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), an aircraft flying within Class C, Class D or Class E airspace—
(a) at or above flight level 100 shall remain at least 1,500 metres horizontally and 1,000 feet vertically away from cloud and in a flight visibility of at least 8 km;
(b) below flight level 100 shall remain at least 1,500 metres horizontally and 1,000 feet vertically away from cloud and in a flight visibility of at least 5 km.
(3) An aircraft shall be deemed to have complied with paragraph (2)(b) if—
(a) the aircraft is not a helicopter and it—
(i) flies at or below 3,000 feet above mean sea level;
(ii) flies at a speed which, according to its airspeed indicator, is 140 knots or less; and
(iii) remains clear of cloud, with the surface in sight and in a flight visibility of at least 5 km; or
(b) the aircraft is a helicopter and it—
(i) flies at or below 3,000 feet above mean sea level; and
(ii) remains clear of cloud, with the surface in sight and in a flight visibility of at least 1,500 metres.
(4) Paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not apply to a helicopter that is air-taxiing or conducting manoeuvres in accordance with rule 6(i).
Note in particular the provisions of 3(a)(iii). The average spamcan driver only needs to be clear of cloud and in sight of the surface under VFR in a Class D CTR but must have 5km in-flight visibility.

Last edited by BEagle; 2nd Oct 2009 at 02:40.