PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flight planning and navigation software I've written
Old 1st Oct 2009, 21:24
junction34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tim,

Firstly, excellent work!

I've just installed 0.9.5 inflight on a widescreen Navigo unit and it seems to work fine, with the exception of the GPS altitude. It's 100 - 200 ft out compared both a Garmin Etrex and PocketFMS on the same Navigo.

I think this relates to the ellipsoid separation on the SIRF III chipset. My understanding is SIRF III subtracts the separation in the output altitude so doing another subtract using the separation from the GPGGA sentence causes height errors.

A few suggestions:

"ETE NXT", would be nice if this box could be clicked to toggle to ETA Next as in my position reports I estimate my next position time as minutes-past-the-hour. I don't know if this is normal but it's certainly the way I was taught. A third option of Destination ETA could be incorporated too and clicking the box would cycle through.

I've not tried the software in flight yet, but there doesn't seem to be an option to allow it to return to following position after maybe 20 seconds after manual panning. This option would be useful for devices with no hard buttons as it's likely the map will be inadvertently panned when flying.

Turning instruments on and off. It would be good to be able to do this without using the menu. Clicking on the instruments / approaching features could hide them and have a click area at each side / bottom of the screen to re-display the individual instruments.

Likewise it would be good to have button areas on the map to zoom in and out.

Approaching features. Is it possible to have this in a standby mode where it's hidden unless terrain/airspace/obstacles need to be warned about?

Location. It would be good to have the ability to display a position report based on 8-point direction and distance from airfields, navaids, big town etc. i.e. "4.5NM SW of Shobdon". I believe the Skyforce locator did this?

What you've got so far is excellent though. Compared to PocketFMS the performance on the device is absolutely outstanding.

-j34-