PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Academy: Living & Studying Tips
Old 1st Oct 2009, 21:12
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless things have changed drastically;

The food at OAA is utterly minging and best avoided. Look out for the mid-week Roast Fat With All The Trimmings. I have still no idea what that "meat" was.

Langford Hall is an overpriced dump full of very loud Algerian Air Force cadets. Move out ASAP. Nearby villages such as Woodstock and Kirtlington are charming places to stay and easily commutable by car or bike.

As mentioned above, nightlife in Oxford is a little dissappointing for a university town.

Groundschool tutors were all excellent, with one glaring exception. You'll know who when you meet him/her. "Positively charged electrons flow this way on a capacitor" Other than that, its pretty good, easily the best taught section of the course.

Phoenix was a lot of fun, but as anywhere else, the quality of the training depends on your individual instructor. Some were excellent, others were simply killing time until a corporate / regional job came up.

IR - expect to be shouted at on a daily basis and to be made to feel like a naughty school child. A bizarre practice but I guess it works, people pass. The day can be busier than you might imagine. 7 or 8 hour days were not unusual.

The MCC in the 737 sim is a great finish to the course and the teaching is far more professional than the IR and more in line with what you can expect going forward towards an airline training environment.

Despite the above sceptical comments, I was generally pleased with the product I got, mainly due to an interview being handed to me on a plate by Oxford for a job with my present employer. As to whether you can expect similar treatment in 13 months time... well you already know the arguments so I shan't bring them up.