PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DERRY/LONDONDERRY
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2009, 20:19
Amelia Earhart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But at least Glasgow is back to a daily service and the time doesn't change from day to day. Liverpool daily also, but Brimingham now only 4 per week as are Luton and Stansted. What is going on indeed!!!!

In a previous post I had questioned whether being a base really mattered in terms of route development as LDY had more routes than BHD despite it being a base. I've definitely change my mind. Not being a base means fitting your timetable into the availability of other airport's aircraft. It is perhaps also in part why BHD has greater frequency on its fewer routes.
Perhaps it explains the crazy timetabling at LDY, axing successful services to STN that at one stage carried 155K p.a., wierd flight times that get you into Glasgow after midnight having nearly missed the last train from PIK, replacing EMA with BHX and then chopping flights, not getting flights to obvious places like EDI and MAN.

None of this assists with route development and so damages the airport whose passenger numbers have consequently fallen 30%. Perhaps Ryanair have different reasons for the above and to be fair to them they are the only airline that has shown any sort of commitment to LDY, but I can't help but feeling that until LDY gets a base that things will not improve.

Hopefully now that the runway extension has been completed and hopefully if the ALC route has been a success, then the airport will soon become a base. It couldn't happen too soon!