PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick North terminal - not my aisle!!
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2009, 19:54
Seat 59A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Gatwick North: yellow shirts

I'm glad it is not just me.

I flew out of LGW N last week, after trips to SFO and various European destinations (all through LHR) and carrying exactly the same two pieces of carry-on, a Hartmann rollbag and a Tumi briefcase, that had been allowed on all long and short haul flights for the past two years.

Fast-track entrance closed (although lane functioning) and all pax diverted through a funnel of yellow shirts handing out plastic bags for the liquids brigade. Do I have liquids? No. I have to measure your bag. Of course, it doesn't fit in the frame (by about 5 mm, thanks to the wheels). Told to go and check it in to which I object, at which point the yellow shirt summons a black shirt who threatens me with denied boarding for being obstructive. Instantly! No discussion allowed, no dissent allowed, but an instant escalation for absolutely no reason.

Take bag over to BA checkin, where the agent tells me the bag is perfectly ok for BA, but that many people complain that LGW staff are "anal retards" (her exact words!!!).

Cannot agree more. What a vile airport, staffed by nasty, authoritarian, stupid and chippy individuals.

Scenario got even worse when I finally did pass through "security", in a rather grim mood.
"Any liquids, mate?"
"No. ... And I am not your 'mate'".
Another immediate escalation ... "I find your attitude objectionable and personally insulting to me" (I guess this is the one bit of training they have absorbed). Wrong! I find YOUR attitude objectionable and insulting, but then I am only the poor old pax, not the jobsworth with petty authority to screw me around. Naturally, my bag went aside for a delayed, and very slow, additional check (with absolutely no reason, except bloody-mindedness, so good job there wasn't anything on the conveyor that actually merited additional manual checking).

The only good thing is that I didn't hit the 1 in 3 shoe lane (not like the time before when I had my shoes scanned because they went off and then did hit the 1 in 3 shoe lane and had to have them scanned again, 7 yards later, even though the muppet had just seen me put them through the first scanner).

Its LHR for me from now on. The numptie ratio at LGW is just too high. But seriously, a little consistency would be really appreciated.