PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink J41 crash
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2009, 14:12
Sniff Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avi8tor
Appologies.That was a bit ambiguous I meant for point b) The crew, in error shut down #1. But you have raised a question which may be relevant. Does the auto feather function work in flight when the stop switch is pushed?

Also the NTS function from what I understand is a rapid cyclic movement of the blade angle towards feather and then a reduction of the blade angle the opposite way. All this to reduce the drag, and in so doing, would, I imagine reduce the rotational velocity of the prop.
This could account for the condition of #1 prop.
Having said that, even if #1 prop was not in NTS mode and simply just wind milling, I am not too sure how much damage would be caused.

Supposing it was, as has been speculated, a turbine seal that caused smoke from #2.
This I understand is symptomatic. By RF’s own admission, Link has a history of these occurrences leading to engine shut downs. These as we hear are not necessary instantaneous
What is to say that #2 was in NTS mode at the time it impacted the ground. Looks pretty mangled to me as if there was a lot of power on at the time, so much so that it would be almost impossible to ascertain anything without analysing the FDR data.
Just another “blade angle”

Regards

S.D.