PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Council tells Bagby to rip up runway
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2009, 12:06
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Council's decision to refuse the planning application to lay the runway reinforcement, and the reasons behind this can be viewed at:

PublicAccess v7.4 @ Hambleton District Council: Application Details (09/00231/FUL)

You'll have to click on the Associated Documents tab, and then the View Associtated Document button, and then select the Decision Notice and click the View button.

The council thought that a reinforced runway would increase the number of movements at the airfield and that this would adversely affect the amenity of the local residents. (I'm pretty sure the impact on the number of movement would be minimal because the based pilots probably can't afford to fly more often, so it would only affect the number of visiting pilots.)

There were various other reasons why the planning application was refused. These can also be seen in the same document.

According to the Hambleton District Council Planning website, the Application is under appeal, and no final decision has been announced, so I find it suprising that the Council would seek to enforce a planning notice while this was the case.

I wish the owner good luck with his application. He has obviously tried to address local concerns and work with his neighbours rather than against them. The council's decision is challengable on a number of points, including the noise survey that shows there would be negligible impact on the amenity to local residents!

BTW: The original planning consent in 1980 approved flight movements of 80 movement per week (1 takeoff + 1 landing = 2 movemenets). According to the noise survey the number of flights taking place at the airfield has been significantly higher in recent years and is currently estimated to be about 200 movements. However, the noise survey suggests that more than half the movements that took place on the day of them survey didn't even registered above the background noise!

tp

Last edited by tacpot; 1st Oct 2009 at 12:22.