PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 1st Oct 2009, 12:05
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9.g,

You seem to have confused a UK comms failure requirement for aircraft flying within the ATS route structure with what to do in the vicinity of an aerodrome when making a visual approach.

You have also confused "being visual" with "being in VMC". It is possible to be visual but in IMC and therefore, the IMC requirements apply for communications failure.

There is a procedure for communications failure after missed approach. However, there is also another notified procedure for a communications failure during the approach phase - continue visually if possible.

Again this shows the nature of the visual approach - there is nothing defined.

Should a missed approach be required from a visual approach to 27R at Heathrow following a communications failure, I would be entitled to make a command decision to do what I decided was safe at that time

Remain visual and fly the published procedure via CHT

Remain visual and fly a right hand circuit

or

Go back into IMC and complete the published procedure in IMC.

Much depends on the situation.

If the comms failure occurred enroute, I would be very mindfull of the requirement to sit in the hold until ATA+10, complete the non-radar procedure and land within 30 minutes

It is the "land within 30 minutes" bit that is quite high in my mind - especially the fact that if I can remain visual it does not apply and also once the 30 minutes is up I have (officially) to go somewhere else.