PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Sumburgh - End Of An Era
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2009, 10:24
ambidextrous

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel Fin D'Siecle

I hope I spelt that correctly!
A sad day indeed. I first arrived in Sumburgh in March 1975 with B212 G-BARJ, operated by BEAS on behalf of Viking Piper, the first fully computerised laybarge in the N.Sea laying the Ninian pipeline to Unst.
I seem to recall being hangared in half a hangar shared with Loganair's Islander at the time. I also recall the Loganair Chief Pilot possessed an extremely attractive daughter or am I having a senior moment!
Far from climbing up the Brent legs we had to climb down them as the helipads were at the sea surface not having been positioned on the top at that time.
I also recall an S61 pilot, company unremembered saying that we, BEAS that is, should be booted off the airfield as we were taking the bread from their mouths! A sad statement then as now.
Nights in 'Colditz' and the largest concrete portacabin on the island are now only dimly remembered although I do recall Johny Grantham RIP being hauled out of the bar along with Ian Leslie (hotel manager) to fly a medevac mission at some late/early hour to the VP barge!
Happy days indeed,
with fraternal greetings,
ambi