PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash after loss of conciousness
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2009, 10:11
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace; " , , , over the Alps climbing through FL240 all hell let loose. 45 degree wing drops, items flying around the cabin, severe turbulence like I had never experienced. The jet was almost uncontrollable. Asked for an immediate climb to FL320. at FL240 the Citation 2 normally climbs at around 1000 fpm I had 4000 fpm all the way to smooth air at FL320."

Sounds like classic mountain wave - in the rotor at first, then into the smooth lift. But I expect you knew that.

In a glider, getting into wave is eerie - the smoothness and silence are awesome. AIUI, the air mass goes into laminar flow.

Returning to the original incident, or rather to cases which might arise like it (as I don’t have any more facts about the event in question), it is quite possible to fly straight and level into a continuous band of rising air which adds several hundred, or even a thousand or more, feet per minute to whatever one was trimmed for in still air. Wave bars can run for many miles. In Scotland last year, a glider pilot did over 1500km in one day using wave bars, but mainly staying at intermediate levels and using the energy to fly fast rather than climb.

Chris N. (edited to add last paragraph.)