PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 30th Sep 2009, 18:19
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people talk about keeping their skills tuned by hand flying. Often what they mean is follow the F.D. on departure and climb with a constant power setting. Likewise on descent in VNAV/LNAV at idle power just follow the F.D. I question whether this is keeping hand-flying skills well oiled.
I hate the "good old days' expression. but they were. In a B732, with only 1 DME, and often that was not on the field; if you spooled up before 1500' you'd messed it up. This was from TOD of 35000' with little wind info. It was a self planned DME v ALT descent. Into the Greek islands it was Mark 1 eyeball visuals, varying from No.1 in traffic at 5000' and severe clear 20nm out, to overhead at FL100 and cleared to land; expedite to allow departures.
I've flown for various airlines since then, and on much bigger a/c. Visuals were still necessary in many island destinations, both Europe & Caribbean. Since then, with more & more radar's and ILS's the requirement has been reduced, even if there is only thin traffic. Indeed, many airlines seem to discourage visuals. In recent years, I've flown during the rapid expansion of short-haul airlines, where most of the F/O's are low hour cadets and the promotion to captain is mind bogglingly rapid. When conditions were suitable, and traffic allowed, and to expedite our arrival, I asked if they wished to fly a visual pattern. Sometimes the eager response was hestiant, but YES please. There then ensued an holy mess and much coaching. Once we'd managed to get it somewhere near the correct glidepath at 1000' it all went well. They were now in familiar territory. Afterwards they admitted they had so little practice. Yet. in 3 years they could be comig up for command. Some airlines even have no night landings without PAPI's, VASIS or G/S. Years ago the CAA required night base training, a nd no VASIS approaches. Now, it seems even night circuits is no longer a base training requirement. The first time a cadet lands a night is on the line. Amazing. Whatever is going on is not good. If pilots are not considered capable of night landing on a fully lit Rwy without G/P indicators I wonder if they should on board. If a pilot in severe clear and field in sight at 40nm can not make a low drag approach to the slot at 1000' I wonder if they really are a capable of being a captain. One day all the fancy bits of kit will not be available and hand eye coordination will be needed. Is it trained and practiced enough? I doubt it, but when it is needed the final insurance policy (pilots) might not be as comprehensive as everyone thought. More 3rd party than all risk.