PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAE dispatcher's unite help one another!
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2009, 17:08
2000GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLT,
I disagree with your numbers. I have over 10 years dispatch experience in the States with a regional and was grossing a little over $4K/mo. (disgusting, I know). I was offered a job in the UAE for a little over that. I thought that was ridiculously low until I looked closer.

If I gross $4K/month in the US, approximately 40% goes to the various federal, state and local income taxes in addition to sales taxes, property taxes, Social Security and Medicare deductions. That leaves you with $3K. Deduct another $1K for rent in a crappy apartment=$2K net left for car payment, utilities, food, medical insurance and entertainment (if any is left over).

Let's say I gross the same over here in the UAE. I am fortunate that my employer supplies a very nice apartment for free-no rent. No taxes of any kind, my medical insurance is free and utilities run $40/month. So here I have about $4K/Mo. net for my car payment, food, entertainment and savings. About 2X as much as I would have in the US. I know these are all rough numbers, but you see my point.

Also, I was given almost $10K lump sum as a "settling in fee" to move over here and by law companies are required to give you a month's salary for each year you are employed when you leave as well as a repatriation benefit equal to your initial settling in fee(~$10K). So a $22K "parting gift if you stay for 3 years. All tax-free.

That being said, there are quite a few drawbacks to living and working here but that is a subject for a different post.