PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass time.......
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2009, 15:56
JimbosJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to echo these sentiments. Whilst I don't often post or even regularly visit pprune, I also find myself increasingly frustrated with this particular trend.

I had always considered myself lucky to have gained a good grounding on older jet aircraft (BAC 1-11 then B737-200). Both complex analogue aircraft, often pushed to their limits in terms of performance/flight envelope. I firmly believe that as a result, my airmanship is every bit as good as anyone with pure EFIS/glass cockpit experience. I will stick my head out and suggest that due to the lack of autothrottle, auto a/p and flight director altitude capture, non graphical GPS display our CRM/monitoring skills were required to be honed even more!

Ironically to illustrate, it seems Airbus themselves are in agreement to some degree:

AA09: Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus

I understand times are tough. So, I don't claim it my right to have a job in the present market. However, I would get my own EFIS/NG type rating if I thought it would be valued (Before I get flamed for considering that option, I've now been unemployed for 10 mths-effectively I've lost £50,000, its simple maths if it means I get back to work) My experience to date should at least enable me to be considered seriously for jobs that only require 300hrs total EFIS time when I have 4300 hrs jet, 3600+ hrs (inc PIC) on 737-200.

Remember, when the demand was there, you used to be able to do a simple differences course to convert to EFIS.

I don't expect sympathy. I don't wish to whinge per se, but I DO want to return to flying duties as soon as practically possible. I'll point out that age shouldn't be an issue as I'm still 30+ years away from retirement. I've demonstrated that I am willing to negate any cost based argument in order for myself to be considered on a like for like basis if that is the real issue. What else can I do? I'm a skilled pilot, I want to demonstrate that to my new employer.

Good luck to all those facing job pressures, it will come around again... sooner rather than later with any luck!

PS. please PM me should anyone wish to employ me!