PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Carolina EMS Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2009, 02:30
Sebastian-PGP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't even been following recently what's going on with MSP's new aircraft acquisition...given the drastic fiscal state of affairs here I wouldn't be surprised if SIC jobs and new aircraft alike are back burner'ed. I suspect Eurocopter did have a legit beef (there's nothing wrong with the airframes, more modern avionics packages and engine upgrades would have been a much cheaper and cost effective option in their view and it'd take someone more educated than me to make the case that they're wrong).

Funny the things this state (and probably most others) wastes money on before it'll spend money on somebody to help you watch the GPS and the altimeter. Not to say this would have prevented the SC incident, obviously we don't know--but it does seem at least somewhat rational to ask about...after all, commercial fixed wing flights have a Captain and a First Officer...why don't EMS flights? The flying EMS pilots are doing (off airport landings, VFR into unexpected IFR flights, tricky landings, etc) has to be more challenging and more dangerous.