PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclic Friction On whilst flying
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2009, 01:57
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FH1100Pilot is right, there is no feel in a 206 without friction. None. The hydraulic servos are between the cyclic and the rotor, and with no friction you can't feel anything at all. It just flops around. The movement is bad enough VFR, but if you are ever unlucky enough to go into inadvertent IMC, you're going to be in real trouble, real fast. Every IFR helicopter requires some form of force trim, SAS, or something, and no helicopter I know of is certified for IFR without it. Just a little inadvertent cyclic movement, and you're in a bank or worse, very quickly, and you absolutely cannot feel anything. The only way to get any feel at all is through friction. It doesn't take a lot, but I need some. I absolutely hate the lack of feel without it. You get the same effect in a 212/412 with the force trim off and no friction - no feel at all. Some people like that, but IME they're never very smooth in that mode, and it's absolutely illegal in IMC, for good reason. Smoothness counts for a lot when you're loaded to max gross trying to take off from a platform on a 90+ degree day with no wind. Even very small cyclic movements reduce lift, and you can see that if you try a hover anywhere, prevent the collective from moving, and stir the cyclic. You'll sink, more with every movement. Start pumping the collective, and you're done, on the deck. Smooth gets off, wobbly doesn't.

All that said, it's your cockpit, so do what you like in it.