PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glass time.......
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 23:29
Bartholomew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr Glass time.......

I have an open question to any professional pilot who would like to offer their view on this...

If you were applying for a job a few years ago (in my recent memory even), it used to be that if you flew a skinny (narrow-body) jet, and wanted to get onto a fat (wide-body) jet, the boys flying the fat jets would always tell you you couldn't..."because you have no wide-body time".... and they were fully convinced that this was an issue.

Now, if you are applying for a NG job (glass), but you only have time on "classics" (analogue)... all of a sudden, the story has changed. You might be on a skinny classic, or a fat classic, but no one will look at you unless you have glass time?

What is it with this industry?

Surely "glass" cockpits were developed to make life easier... not harder?

In my mind, the industry is negating overall aviation experience in favour of expensive game-boy past-times? And before you go off at a tangent, yes, I have flown "classics" with FMS and the like, and it didn't faze me in the least. New system - learn it - fly the plane.

I'd be interested to see what you guys think (professionals only please - spotty anoraks and FS-demons please refrain from commenting).

Cheers