PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 22:07
regle

Mossies in the net

Thank you all for your interest. I am very touched by it, and I am tentatively thinking of going on Sunday if my very dodgy legs are up to it. I have been in contact with them and they were very nice and are being very cooperative. . I knew Ted Sismore very well. He was the Navigator to another old friend of mine from 105, Sqdn. Ldr. Reggie Reynolds when they made the famous first daylight raid on Berlin as Goering was about to speak on the Radio to the Nation and made him the laughing stock of Germany afterwards. He ,Ted Sismore , also planned the famous raid on the Prison at Amiens to release condemned prisoners ,where F for Freddy Pickard, an old C.O. of my other Sqdn. 51, was killed. The F for Freddy nickname came from the propaganda film of the forties "One of our Aircraft is missing" where he was the Commander of the Wimpy "F for Freddy." What a Squadron 105 was ! The C.O. was enough for any Boys Own Paper Wing Commander; The great Australian, "Hughie " Edwards V.C. and every other Decoration at least once and even twice. Sqdn. Ldr. Roy Ralston and Blackpool Navigator, Sid Clayton who bombed a train as it went into a tunnel and then went round and sealed the other end before the train had come out. They did over 100 ops together and then Sid went over to Canada, trained as a pilot and came back on ops with ...105 Sqdn. of course.
Anyway we shall see about Sunday. Watch this space . Regle

Last edited by regle; 29th Sep 2009 at 22:26.