PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink J41 crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 21:46
zip69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the J41 fly on 1 engine?

Answer: yes. In my experience anyway.

But just because it will fly on one engine it does not mean the SA crew are at fault in any way. Many mechanical things could have gone wrong on the day which will hopefully come out in the investigation.

As a part of endorsement training in the simulator, the engine failure was reasonably docile.

Full rudder was not required to maintain dirrectional control with the failure occuring at V1 and at MTOW. (don't remember the elevation of the aerodrome, temp at 25 deg C )

The final check ride was conducted in the aircraft. Again a V1 cut was even easier to control. This time only 2 persons on board and approx 3000 pounds of fuel, so take off weight only approx 8200kg. (elevation 1000' and temp 20 deg C) The engine failure was simulated by closing the power lever, not actually shutting down the engine so the prop was windmilling, not feathered.

(BAE have said on the J41 an engine at flight idle will create slightly more drag than a feathered prop, but it does depend on actual engine rigging and what the figure of flight idle actually is. I have seen anywhere between 5-19% Tq)

I now conduct check and training on said aircraft and also use the above method for simulating the engine failure. Out of a runway at 2000 feet with temp 30 deg C, I expect to see a rate of climb of approx 1000 feet per minute at 8200kg.

Last week I did this for a brand new FO straight out of the simulator with little previous multi engine experience. He was achieving well over 500 feet per minute from initial failure at V1, and once the Phase 1 Memory Items had been completed, the aircraft in trim and climbing at V2, the rate of climb had exceeded 1500 feet per minute. ( Elevation 2000', Temp 15 Deg C, TOW 8200kg)

Again, This by no means the SA crew were at fault in any way!

I am not trying to place blame anywhere, just answer the question that has been asked a number of times.

Best wishes to the crew, their families and the company.

Zip.