PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India pilots on strike.
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 19:44
Speed Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF i decide to leave the airline today i will have to pay 26.5 lacs of training fee, forego 7.5 lacs of bank guarantee and pay 10 lacs as bond breakage payment. either this or continue to work for the period of bond (10 years). this is indian airlines.

as for the salary payment issue 3 components to salary:
basic salary : starts at 6750 in the 1st year of company. add DA, HRA and all that you get upto 18000 rupees a month

PLI: 16000 per month for the 1st year of service

Flying allowance: 2064 per hour for 1st year of service

so if one flies 60 hours a month (which is the average give or take 10 hours) your gross comes to about 1.2 lacs as flying allowance and basic + pli add another 35000. so about 1.55 lacs per month is the gross for a new co-pilot in the company.

what the management wants to do (they have done it for only the senior management commanders now, but it is pretty much expected for everyone else) is reduce the flying allowance and PLI by 50%. that would mean instead of 1.55 lacs i get about 86000 rupees per month gross. add income tax to it and take home comes to about 58000 rupees per month.

all figures stated above are facts to the nearest thousand and for illustration purpose. yes the pay cut and strike does not go for co-pilots at the moment but is only for illustrative purposes.

now the company pays allowance in the way that in case you fly in august, you get the allowance for august with the salary of september. allowance for month of july and august payable on the last working day of august and september respectively are due.

another bone of contention is that since the company is not paying allowance all pilots at the moment are taking home a salary of only basic + hra/da and all. which comes to about 18k a month. the EMI for a 10 lakh loan to become a pilot comes to about 30k a month for a 5 year period. even if i dont spend a penny on anything, forget BMW even on food i still dont have money to pay for my education loan.

and here i am not even comparing the disparity in the "basic salary" of air india and indian airlines.

this seems like bonded labour. i cant leave the company because of the bond and if i continue i am made to work cheap.

no wonder people have gone on strike.

i just want my flying with a blue sky on top and cumulus clouds at 3000 feet!!!