PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India pilots on strike.
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 16:45
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Egos?

What about the travelling public who have kept the AI pilots employed? If it wasn't for them putting their faith in AI there would be no jobs right? How have the pilots repaid this loyalty? With a two fingered salute.
Why do we need to be emotional with 'the faith of travelling public'? We do need to be professional. A doctor will not treat a patient if the doctor thinks that patient/insurer will not pay him. Nor will a lawyer stand in court if you don't pay him the fee. Why are we trying to bring out different standards for pilots. Just because they cater to a bulk of population in one go. I really fail to understand the argument, and for records I am all for democracy.

There will be down sizing now at AI, like it or not because the public will vote with their feet. They have a choice which carrier they want to fly on. It is called competition and very healthy it is too.
The competition has been there, only that it was not fair competition. AI was governed by management and ministers not directly answerable to the stake holders, i.e. the citizen of India (Taxpayers and non-taxpayers both). The customer always had a choice and has been exercising it, nothing new is coming up now.

These selfish "executive" pilots are not only putting their jobs at risk and making themselves unemployable in the process, but risking countless other peoples jobs as well.
Everybody is entitled to take his own risks and returns, there is no need to label pilots as selfish. The day shareholders of an airline feel like its in their interest to liquidate the airline, they will do it and without any afterthought. Its business for all parties not a charity. Pilots are not doing and are not expected to do a charity. If other people's job is affected, then those other people should have taken prior precaution to make sure such strikes do not happen.

It was selfish pilots who hammered the final nails into the coffin of Sabena, which cost every employee their job.
Who made the coffin in first place?

If you guys are so unhappy at AI, why don't you just leave, instead of trying to destroy the company? There are plenty of jobs around for sky Gods and plenty of crews around who would be quite happy to fill your boots at AI. if the F/O's are paid more then apply to be a f/o. What's stopping you, egos?
Leaving an airline in India is not an easy affair. Owing to a collusion between DGCA and the airline managements, no pilot can leave without a 6 months advance notice. At the same time a pilot can be fired without any advance notice or compensation. May be leaving had more risks associated with it than calling for a strike. Either ways its their decision and neither me nor you have any right or role in that decision.

Ego is most losely used word on this news group. Apparently working without proper compensation means a person doesn't have objectionable amount of ego. But if that is the choice I will rather have ego than work at lower compensation (strictly a personal opinion).