PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 29th Sep 2009, 15:47
bayete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9.G
Sorry, I was responding to your last but one sentance where I read it as a query as to why ATC prefer you to fly the MA for lost comms as opposed to a left turn at 1500' into the visual cct.
Why is it ATC prefers one to follow published MA for comm failure opposite to LT 1500 ft waiting for the light beam?
Is that not what you were asking? If so my answer remains: The IMC procedure is a catch all that works both for Inst Apps and Vis Apps.
Of course if there is an overriding safety reason you may elect to do something else.
No bells ringing I'm afraid, I never suggested anything contrary to what you have highlighted in red text. My last sentance was a jest harking back to the good old days when going through training and when I was an instructor; when the easiest way to join was simulated loss of RT where you didn't need to make any calls/deal with ATC and could run into the CCT taking into account of other traffic and land without speaking to anyone. (Yes one may have given ATC the heads up that your recovery to base would be loss of RT)

I agree with BOAC that if you were in a visual CCT I would stay there, you may not even have an approach plate out with the MAP on it. But visual CCTs are a little different from a visual appraoch after and IFR procedure.

I'm still going with the answer-Confirm with ATC what they want you to do.
As we can quite clearly see from this thread, there does not appear to be an answer either way. Controllers are even saying it depends on where you are, what size of airfield etc. So asking has got to be the safest and easiest way.

Last edited by bayete; 29th Sep 2009 at 15:55. Reason: Comment on BOAc's post