PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial Teaching of a Cross Country
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2002, 02:33
Gen Ties

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortex......

The use of mnemonics as a memory aid for pre starts, take off, pre landings, etc appears to be quite commonly taught in Australia.

Although there may be quite a varient on each drill they all have some common thread.

TEMPFISCH, would be the memory aid for checks at the run up bay pre take off. IE: T - trims set, temps green, p - primer in and locked, F flaps set, fuel on, I - instruments checked and correct, S-as required, C - carby heat, H - Harnesses and hatches locked.

FMOST (I don't know EFMOST but as I say there are many varients) would be a engine failure drill. IE: F- check pumps, tanks etc, M - mixture, mags.........Anyway I'm sure you get my drift.

These assist the new student in remembering what he must do at certain points during the flight and also saves the use of written check list. They also have the advantage in that they cover the main things that if not down could get Bloggs into strife.

But as Dan has stated they must be taught, and here it it up to the instructor, to be used with awareness witha total understanding of why and what for they are being used.

It is therefore important to reinforce that each check, even though single pilot, is in the first part a call which requires a second part, a thought out and logical response.

Should this be the case I see little wrong in generic checks such as calling gear - down an locked, whether in a fixed gear or retractable aircraft.