PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 29th Sep 2009, 11:19
potteroomore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My incident in KCH ( WBGG )

It has been more than 15 years since my incident and after running into that particular check airman, we had a lengthy discussion over at Ms Poh Eng's cafe at the MAS training centre. The issue of visual missed approach altitude was certainly the core of our discussion; well, I agreed with him that in the absence of any unique local procedures as per AIP one should initially maintain local visual circuit altitude until tower clears otherwise. In any visual missed approach, it is imperative to contact tower ASAP. However this is not always possible due to jammed transmission or tower controller occupied with other tasks in a " one man show " tower operations. Please do not forget there are thousands of airports all over the world who do not have radar, multiple ATCOs etc. At least in that part of the world I operated some 15 years ago, the standard of English was fairly good and the ATC basically stuck to ICAO procedures. Once a pilot accepts a visual approach ( not declaring visual in the midst of an instrument approach ), he/she is solely responsible for traffic and terrain avoidance and stick to that in case of a visual missed approach by joining the visual traffic pattern. What my mistake was just simply by force of habit flying a missed approach based on the ILS instrument approach like in SYD those days........days of flying in an insular environment!