PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAE dispatcher's unite help one another!
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 10:10
desertopsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so fast,

Quote "I can bet, most experianced dispacthers out here are willing to work for peanuts" ... I don't agree with that, I don't know anyone "experienced" who would live in a squat in DXB working for buttons just to have a job. It may have something to do with your personal definition of experienced.

I went to seminar recently hosted by Emirates and they had very good guest speaker from Australia, a man with a long career in airline operations and the overall opinion was that an experienced flight ops person comes with not less than 10yrs experience to be considered 'experienced'. During this 10yrs you would learn the ropes, get a grip on the basics and build on it, problem solving, decision making, anticipation of events before they happen, working out the optimum outcome wherever possible and lapping up the pressure along the way, by the end of it you've got someone who has pretty much seen it all, exposure is what they call it. Monsters who gobble up every problem that pops up.

You will learn nothing on a good day, you earn your stripes on the days that almost grind you down and leave you frazzled at the end. My point is that...someone who fits this description will not work for peanuts and will take their 6inches where the money is, leaving the 1 inchers to work for the peanuts.

Southwest may pay new hire dispatchers 40k PA but there are some things to bear in mind. Living in the US comes with taxes and a higher cost of living so how much of this 40K would you be left with after all that? Even so, 40K is about 12,300 wotsits per month in the gulf, that's not alot and the pay grades out here are not far off that for someone with a bit of time behind them.

Sorry that you haven't found a break yet but if you limit yourself to one geographical location then it will take longer.

Happy hunting.