PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 07:38
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Standing ovation, Reg: Absolutely spot on.
This must be one of the most read threads currently on the Forum.
I come from a generation whose parents had obviously lived through and served in the Second World War. Would they talk about it? No, only on the very rare occasions when an old mate came by, and a few beers had flowed. Even then it was mostly self deprecating stuff, too much to drink, fell asleep in the sun, badly sunburnt when woke up, learning to drive in the desert and hitting the only tree.

Now they are gone and trying to build a picture of them, these memories aren't sufficient.

What Cliff and Reg provide is the full colour version of what went on in wartime, how people tried to cope and what they had to endure. That they came through is a testament to their ability to take the knocks of life intensified a hundredfold, and makes todays "Nanny State" appear totally lacking in understanding that every day you live actually gets you one day closer to death, whatever you do, so you may as well make the most of it.

So, please, as Reg says, if you know of anyone who served and has a good recollection of their time, PLEASE put it on paper. I could pass Reg or Cliff in the street and never know what they did, but having shared some of their experiences I can only admire the RAF for its wonderful training that produced such excellent people. It makes me more determined to ensure that those that didn't make it should be always remembered, there but for Fate, would be Cliff or Reg.

I'm sure that post war training was just as rigorous, but also there was the "Work hard, play hard" aspect that sadly seems to be in decline now. People can't be seen to be having fun, must be some misery guts just wanting to make one criticism and everybody stops what was perfectly harmless high spirits.

I respect and admire our Armed Forces and the job they do with always the piece of kit that was vitally needed for the last "problem" but is b*ggerall use now. It's the self serving politicians that turn my stomach.

So, let's have the clean air of wonderful memories wafting through this thread. Please, do try. Cliff and Reg may have set the standard high, but ALL are welcome.

I'd be very interested in what training a gunner had to go through and how they managed on the bombing missions in all kinds of weather. It wasn't just the pilot and Flight Engineer, on board, so where the h*ll are the rest of the crew??? Come on lads, share the load and let us know what life was like for you..